Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Learning Log: Assignment 3: Creating Shapes and 3 D Forms with Fabric and "A Piece of my own"



Project 6 – Manipulating Fabric

Stitched Sample is in Assessment Submission

Stitched Sample is in Assessment Submission
 I really enjoyed this project, though initially I found it difficult to decide what drawings to use as a basis for the fabric collages. Two of these were the basis for project samples: “tulips dancing ” and “birches at night” and I plan to do some further work on the seabirds, perhaps manipulating the background fabric to mimic the seascape and applying fabric and /or yarns for the birds. The drawings were the starting point, but the fabric manipulation took over and the pieces had a life of their own which was great, though the end results were true to the original concepts for both tulips and birches.

I found it helpful to work from drawings for the collages.
Before I did the course I used to love playing around and seeing what resulted… but I could start doing a and end up doing z.
Recently I find I’m not comfortable unless I have a particular aim or task in mind…and I’ve found the same on my drawing course. I think this is because when I started the course I decided I’d need to stick to the syllabus otherwise I could go off on any number of tangents and not cover the material. I find I’m less spontaneous but hope this won’t last once I feel I’ve gotten the hang of things.

I was more comfortable with the applied fabric techniques than with the raised and structured surfaces.

 I bought and tried to use “The Art of Manipulating Fabric” by Colette Wolff and while her book is really practical with detailed instructions and wonderful illustrations for each technique, I found I was intimidated by the sheer perfection of what she produced. I was very interested though in the creative application of the techniques.

I personally didn’t seem to get much in the way of results when I was just trying things out and probably need to relax and play with it more and see what happens.

 I was however happy with my final sample piece "Ghostly tulip" ((Thanks for the title Sarah). I thnk it worked because I let the techniques serve what I was trying to do rather than rigidly trying to follow the set processes.

This is in Assessment Submission

I loved Valerie Campbell Harding's and Maggie Grey's "Layers of Stitch". The first chapter on backgrounds has some really interesting suggestions eg using bondaweb , nappy liners or vanishing muslin.The palette they use appeals strongly to me and the expressive pieces are a far cry from the duck quilts that sping to mind when I think of applique.



The machining is at a much higher level than I'm capable of....I'm just learning free machine embroidery from a very able tutor, Arlene Shawcross, but this will provide some powerful inspiration.
I preferred working with fabric and stitch than with stitch alone. I loved the textures and forms that resulted and felt that the pieces had more energy than my purely stitched pieces , but stitch was a still a large component with my final samples being a combination of techniques.

I was pleased with the shapes and movement in my final samples for both appliqué and fabric manipulation, but I need to get more comfortable with the fabric manipulation techniques and be more open to where they can be used.
I really enjoyed the quilting and slashing in "Birches at Night".In my ignorance I stitched this onto paper for support, which was problematic...next time I'll use viylene (thank you Arlene).
I found the applied fabric techniques dovetailed nicely with the classes I’ve been taking in free machine embroidery – hence the frenzy of stitching in “tulips dancing”.

PART 4 : Project 7 – A Piece of My Own.

 The piece I did was a silk wall panel called “Relics", which I put into the Cork Textile Networks “Crafting” exhibition.

It involved
This is in Assessment Submission
  • tie dying and then painting the silk with silk paints
  • drawing the main form using gutta
  •  leaf prints from a lino block I used in an earlier exercise
  • free machine stitching using metallic threads and watersoluble fabric
  • beading on the leaf prints
There was a very strong thread of development from the initial drawings to the final designs, and while there was a lot of work involved, I’m not sure if the piece has sufficient depth.
I’m pleased that I developed and executed the concept and finished it in time for the exhibition, but I’m not very excited by the piece itself.

 I did interpret my ideas well within the techniques and materials I’d chosen : there is a lovely contrast between the soft sheen of the silk and the textured metallic stitching . Also the richness of the stitching and beading is true to the intention of recalling something that is a beautiful remnant of what was once living.
However while the piece is coherent as a whole, I feel it’s not particularly inventive and not at all thought provoking.
Post script....probably overdid the use of metallics...again !

Problem Area - Sketchbook

As before, I had difficulty deciding which of my sketches to use…this is a recurring problem for me.
I have started the “Drawing Skills” course and while this is helping to develop my basic skills I’m still not sketching comfortably for textile purposes.

I did the sketchbook workshop in early March, but it was too short for me : most of the people attending were already using sketchbooks and had developed a process, whereas I felt very much at sea.

I've gone through "Creating Sketchbooks for Embroiderers and Textile Artists"’ by Kay Greenlees a number of times. While everything she says makes perfect sense, I just get confused and panic and don't know where to begin.

I've bought a copy of “Finding Your Own Visual Language”  by Jane Dunnewold, Claire Benn and Leslie Morgan. I’m hoping that working through some of this might help get rid of the mental block I’ve developed when there’s a mention of using drawings as a basis for design.

Positive : Free Machine Stitching .
I took seven classes on Monday mornings and have improved no end.
I really enjoy the free machine embroidery and want to explore how I can apply it appropriately in what I do. In the long term I’d like to see it as a component of rather than the focus of what I do.


Recommended Reading

I loved the Henry Moore studies for textiles eg Three Standing Figures - I love how the crayony texture is magnified when printed large on fabric. Have tried to uplaod pics but am going wrong somewhere.


Tutor's Report




No comments:

Post a Comment